Overview for Developers
As a web developer, you can tap into the millions of points of data, maps, metadata, and more for you own websites or mobile applications. Use our embedded map widget for your own sites, or grab the data in standard formats (KML, RSS, GeoRSS, CSV, XOMGL) with our API and create your own web or mobile applications.
Embedding Interactive Map Widget
Use our Widget Builder to configure a map for your site. You can use any of our public data, and select options like filters, starting location, location list, and other area data. Then get a few lines of HTML to cut and paste into your own website or blog. Instant interactive map!
There are 3 levels of usage.
- Free Map - Open a free account, build your widget, get the code, and embed it on your live or testing sites. 10 views per day.
- Free Map with API Key - Open a free account, build your widget, get the code, and embed it on your live or testing sites. 100 views per day.
- Paid Map - Contact us for pricing for heavy usage. Unlimited calls per day. Cost is based on actual usage.
Using the API
As a developer, you can use all of our data on your own site with our free API. It's so powerful, we actually used it to build all the maps on this site and others! Start using our API immediately.
There are 3 levels of usage. Calls are limited by a combination of website domain, user account, and IP address:
- Free Usage - Read our documentation and start making calls to our data. 10 calls per day.
- Free with API Key - Use your free account's API Key in your calls. 100 calls per day.
- Paid API - Contact us for pricing for heavy usage. Unlimited calls per day. Cost is based on actual usage.
You can access all of our data through our open API. In fact, we use it to power this entire site (and others), and give you the same tools and access that we have.
The API calls for Your Mapper are outlined in detail in our Developer API Documentation page.
Using your free unique API Key lets you make more request per day. Visit your Account Home Page now to see your Key.
You can use the same key associated with your account across any number of your sites, and we will aggregate your usage in your account API reports area.
There are a number of data feeds available for use in other websites and applications, including KML, GeoRSS, RSS, XOMGL, CSV, JSON, and HTML.
- Map Feeds - Each map has KML, GeoRSS, and XOMGL feeds for any specific search. Use the toolbar icons at the bottom of a map to grab these dynamic data feeds for your own use. Or specifiy more formats like CSV, JSON, and HTML in the API.
- Comment Feeds - Each map and each marker has an RSS (and an HTML) datafeed for their comments. Look for the icons on the map and marker pages. These let you track any new comments made by other users. Or you can track all comments made on the site with Site-wide Comments RSS or Site-wide Comments HTML.
The site allows direct, permanent links to particular searches, maps, and markers. These can be seen when using the site, and are returned in the some API calls.
- Map Browser - The multiple map browser is located at www.yourmapper.com/map.php, or you can see all the available maps in a list. You can also pass query string parameters to the map browser to change the search options and viewpoint. Grab this automatically with the icon below the map. (Example Link)
- Specific Map - Each map has its own page, located at www.yourmapper.com/map/map-id/map-name/map-description.htm (Example Link). The map's permalink can be accessed through our API calls. You can also pass query string parameters to the maps to change the search options and viewpoint. Grab this automatically with the icon below the map.
- Specific Marker - Each marker has its own page, located at www.yourmapper.com/details/map-id/marker-id/marker-name.htm (Example Link). The marker's permalink can also be accessed through our API calls. Grab this automatically with the icon inside any of the marker popups.